Here is an overview of the strategic planning process in three steps:
- The first step of the strategic planning process is to gather data.
- The second step is to analyze the data.
- The third step is to create a plan from the results of the data.
I’ve detailed the process week by week to correspond to a 90-day process:
- Week One: Meet with Executive Director to discuss strategic planning process; brainstorm members of the Strategic Planning Committee meeting
- Week Two: Host First Strategic Planning Committee meeting; brainstorm organizational issues
- Week Three: Conduct SWOT Analysis with Board and staff members
- Week Four: Present Strategic Planning Introduction to Board of Directors; develop Mission, Values and Vision statements
- Weeks Five to Eight: Conduct Strategic Planning Interviews
- Weeks Five to Eight: Conduct Guest Surveys
- Weeks Five to Eight: Assemble Positional Map(s)
- Week Nine: Assemble results of the interviews, surveys and positional map(s)
- Week Ten: Meet with Strategic Planning Committee to go review results; brainstorm recommendations
- Week Eleven: Present Results and Recommendations at Board meeting
- Week Twelve: Write strategic plan draft; present to Strategic Planning Committee and Executive Committee for discussion and feedback
- Week Thirteen: Present Final Strategic Plan at Board meeting