I am excited to speak in Felcia Shaw’s Nonprofit Management for the Arts class through USD’s Certificate in Business for Arts on Tuesday night. Here the Strategic Planning Tips that I will be sharing with the class:
- Start the strategic planning process with enthusiasm (not dread)
- Look before you leap
- Gain the commitment, support and involvement of the top leadership before you start
- Designate one staff, Board member or an outside consultant to lead the process
- Determine the length of your strategic planning process
- Define clear roles and responsibilities for your Board in the strategic planning process
- Develop and empower your strategic planning committee
- Be inclusive of all ideas
- Look objectively at your programs to determine which ones best serve the organization’s mission and budget
- Plan to spend a large majority of your time gathering data. The results of the data provide the foundation for your final strategic plan
- Create “buy in” by keeping your Board and staff members informed throughout the process
- Be patient with the process.
Also, I am thrilled to be teaching Strategic Planning at USD through the same program next month!!