This year, my best advice to my clients regarding their year end direct mail is: less is more.
I’m encouraging them to pull back on the massive mailing and just focusing on the people who actually give. A smaller mailing not only saves money, it allows you to personalize your appeals. I also am encouraging the use of email appeals to save money on the cost of printing and mailing letters.
Year-End Appeal Check List:
- If you want to send to your entire database, send an email instead of a physical letter
- For those consistent donors who need a physical letter (like your older donors), send one with a handwritten note
- Include a personal story with a photo of the person you are telling the story about
- Don’t send a long list of the things you accomplished this year or list all the programs
- Do share the impact you have made with your program
Less is more.