According to Network for Good, online giving constitutes 10% of total philanthropic giving.
The average online gift is $146 compared with $38 for the average direct mail gift.
Garner Online Donations
- Place a prominent “donate” button on the header of the website that is easily visible in the same place from page to page.
- Offer the opportunity for the donor’s Company to match donations. List of participating companies.
- Place social media links on the website and offer visitors opportunities to “like”, “follow”, and “pin”
- Vary social media posts to be universal/inspirational sayings and photos with posts specific to the organization’s work. Check out Charity Water’s social media examples here
- Feature “endorsement” quotes from prominent individuals testifying to the value of your organization to the community
- Feature any printed media or editorial ops
Video Killed Text
- Create a presence on YouTube with videos and embed into your organization’s website.
- According to Forbes Insight, 59% of senior executives would rather watch a video than read text.
- Note Invisible Children’s “Donate” button below prominently displayed on their You Tube Channel.
- The video needs to be engaging and captivating within the first seconds and minutes.
- Eloqua, an automated email marketing provider, noted that including video in an introductory email reduced the number of subscriber opt-outs by 75%.
- According to research by Visible Measures, 20% of viewers will click away from a video in 10 seconds or fewer, about 1/3 by 30 seconds, 45% by 1 minute and almost 60% by 2 minutes.
If you need one more reason why to create videos for your nonprofit organization to help you fundraise:
Create repeat visitors
- Create a monthly or bi-monthly newsletter by mapping out 1-3 newsletter topics and content in advance. Ask website visitors to sign up on your website or through an immediate pop up screen when the open your website
- Create a blog for the organization that features success stories, testimonies from community leaders about the work of the organization, guest bloggers (Honorary board members, prominent community members) written twice a month. Market the blog by embedding it in the website and promoting new posts via the organization’s social media
- Utilize Google Analytics or other system to track website visitors
To launch a new website
- Nobody likes to click onto a webpage and get the message: “Super Radical Website coming here soon…” As your building your website, have up a placeholder that will allow you to build a following as your website is under construction.
- For the soft launch, send the web link to the organization’s inner circle and solicit them for feedback (via email or a more formal online survey). The inner circle can include the individuals who participated in the strategic development survey and those who were on the list but were not interviewed; this is another step in the donor cultivation process for these individuals
- For the public launch, send out a video via email and have it prominently displayed on your website