What is #GivingTuesday? An online fundraising opportunity for your nonprofit organization coming up this Tuesday, December 1, 2015.
Why is #GivingTuesday a “thing”? Giving Tuesday began in 2012 as a day dedicated to giving to nonprofits. It is observed each Tuesday following Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- “The UNselfie”: a picture of someone or something that represents your reason for giving, and share it on Instagram, Facebook, and/or Twitter with the hashtags #unselfie and #givingtuesday.
- #Hashtag: A hashtag is a key word or phrase that is a searchable label or tag used on social network and microblogging services which makes it easier for users to find messages with a specific theme or content.
Can my nonprofit organization participate? Yes! To be successful I would recommend that your nonprofit has:
- A large online presence (more than 1,000 Twitter or Instagram followers, Facebook friends)
- Donors who already give online to your organization
- Individuals (your board members, staff members, local or international celebrities) who will help you promote the campaign to their large group of online followers
Why should my nonprofit participate in #GivingTuesday? This online fundraising event “officially” kicks off the charitable season.
In 2014, #GivingTuesday:
- Increased online donations by 470% for a day
- Resulted in 296,000 donors giving $46 million (up 64% from the previous year)
- Generated 750,000 tweets and 32.7 MILLION impressions
- Online giving on #GivingTuesday was up 67% from 2013
- #GivingTuesday (the hashtag) was used 754,600 times
- The “UNselfie” photo was taken 7,500 times
How do I participate in #GivingTuesday?
- Sign up as an official #GivingTuesday Partner
- Download #GivingTuesday logos you to use in your messaging
- Develop short (under 140 characters) messaging for your supporters to utilize on their social media outlets. Don’t forget a link to your donate page!
- Develop a customized #hashtag for your organization’s campaign
- Create a printable document to send out to your board members, committee members and supporters to print out and take an “UNselfie” and post on their social media outlets
- Pre-solicit your social media savvy donors ahead of #GivingTuesday so they can give on the day and announce their gift to their online “friends” and “followers”
- Make sure you have a prominent donate button on the home page of your website and that you send out the link to your donate webpage to your individual promoters
- Once an individual donates, have a “pop up” window that allows them to share their gift on their own social media (thus promoting your organization’s #GT campaign and attracting more donors)
- Thank donors (as they give) through your organization’s social media outlets
- Dedicate your development staff to spending the day online promoting giving Tuesday and thanking donors as donations come in
- For more ideas on how to execute your successful #GivingTuesday campaign, check out:
- My tips for Setting Up Your Organization for Successful Online Giving
- Stay Classy’s 7-Day Marketing Plan for #GivingTuesday Campaign
- Giving Tuesday’s Ideas for Nonprofits